Did you know that you can secure the most powerful source of stem cells available within minutes of birth by choosing cord blood banking?
If you are still undecided on whether to go ahead with stem cell banking, check out our list of pros and cons to help you decide.
Some of the advantages of umbilical cord blood banking are:
- Cord blood banking preserves powerful stem cells. These cells can treat more than 80 conditions and are the subject of more than 7,600 clinical trials for various regenerative therapies.
- Stem cell collection has no impact upon your birth plan and will never interfere with the bonding between you and your baby after the birth. The cord blood collection procedure takes place in a separate room after the third stage of labour.
- Umbilical cord stem cells rarely carry infectious diseases and are half as likely to be rejected as adult stem cells.
- Donating to a public bank is usually free and could save lives in the future.
- Going ahead with private cord blood banking means that you can easily retrieve the donation later if your baby or another family member requires it.
Some of the disadvantages of umbilical cord blood banking are:
- The number of cord blood stem cells banked is crucial, as too few can affect how successful a stem cell treatment will be. CellsPlus provides three times more stem cells at the point of recovery than other industry-leading technologies available in the UK, ensuring the maximum amount is banked.
- You must decide and plan for cord blood donation before labour starts, so make sure you have done your research prior and have all the information you need.
- When you go into labour and head off to the hospital, you need to remember to bring your Collection Kit with you. Following the birth of your baby and delivery of the placenta, your healthcare professional will use the Collection Kit to collect the cord blood, tissue and a maternal blood sample.
- Not everyone is eligible to donate cord blood, depending on several factors such as your medical history.
Cells4Life is the leader in cord blood banking in the UK, with more UK samples in storage than any other bank. You know you are in safe hands when you bank your baby’s stem cells with us.
Request a Welcome Pack
Find out more about cord blood banking by downloading a Welcome Pack now.