Most Popular Royal Baby Names for Your Prince or Princess
In honour of the coronation of King Charles III, we thought we would list some of the most popular baby names associated with the royal family.
Looking through the last 200 years of British royalty, read on to see the popular royal names that you could choose for your baby.
Let’s start with the girls…
1.Victoria – there have been 9 people in the royal family named Victoria. The most recognisable is probably Queen Victoria (1819-1901) who now has the 2nd longest reign on the British throne at 63 years.
2. Mary –7 people named Mary have been part of the royal family. An infamous name indeed when you go further back to Mary aka Bloody Mary. We are certain though that your child will be far more like Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood (1897-1965), who did amazing charity work during WW1.
3. Louise – 6 royal Louises including the daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll (1848 – 1939).
4. Alexandra – 6 individuals have had this name, including Princess Alexandra (born 1936) the daughter of Prince George and Princess Mariana and cousin to Queen Elizabeth I.
5. Elizabeth – 5 Lizzies have been part of the Royal family in the last 200 years. Of course, there was Elisabeth I who was the last monarch in the Tudor line but the one we will remember the most is Elizabeth II (1926-2022) who to date is the longest reigning monarch in British history having spent 70 years on the throne.
6. Alice – there have been 4 individuals with the name Alice. Fun fact the name Alice means noble.
7. Margaret – 3 Margarets! The most notable is of course the only sister of Queen Elizabeth II Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (1930-2002)
8. Charlotte – 3 individuals called Charlotte. Most recently the daughter of Will and Kate was given this name (born 2015).
9. Augusta – there have been 2 Augustas in the royal family. This unique name has quite a royal meaning. Augusta is the feminine form of Augustus, and it translates to Great or Magnificent.
10. Helena – 2 Helenas. One of them was the third Daughter of Victoria and Albert and Princess Helena (1846-1917) who was an extremely active member of the royal family.
Honourable mention: Diana
There have been two Dianas. Of course, most famously there was Diana Princess of Wales. Also, Diana is an ancient Roman deity and the name means divine.
1. Albert – 12 boys have been called Albert. Most recognisable is of course Prince Albert (1819-1861) husband to Queen Victoria.
2. George – an extremely popular name, there have been 10 in the last 200 years. George VI (1895-1947) was the father to Queen Elizabeth II.
3. Charles – potentially further down the list than you’d think, there have been 8.
4. Edward – 7 boys have been called Edward. Did you know that Edward means wealthy guard?
5. Christian – perhaps one of the unexpected names there have been 5 people called Christian.
6. Frederick – another slightly unexpected name, 5 people have been called Frederick.
7. Louis – 5 people including Will and Kate’s son have been called Louis. Prince Louis (born 2018) is 5 years old – doesn’t time fly.
8. Arthur – We all know the one of legend but in the last 200 years, there have been 5 royals called Arthur.
9. William – Throughout all of history there have been a lot of royals called Will. In the last 200 years, there have been 4
10. Henry – in the last 200 years there have been 4 Hernys. In the entire history of the royal family, there have been. Much further back of course there were Henry V, the hero and Henry VIII. More recently there was Prince Henry Duke of Gloucester (1900-1974) who excelled at sports.
Honourable mention: Ernest
There have been two people called Ernest in the last 200 years of the royal family. The name means vigour and intent.
Picking a baby name can be tough so we hope you got a bit of inspiration from our blog. Whether you want to go for one of these regal names or try and go for something beautifully unique, we hope that you pin something down that brings you joy.
Request a Welcome Pack
Find out more about cord blood banking by downloading a Welcome Pack now.